Assistive technology device means any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of a child with a disability. The term does not include a medical device that is surgically implanted, or the replacement of that device...
(34 CFR §300.5) IDEA 2014
Assistive technology service means any service that directly assists an individual with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. Assistive technology service means any service that directly assists a child with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device...
(34 CFR §300.6) IDEA 2004
- Apps for Access
- AfA - Access for All Team
- ATAC - Assistive Technology Advocacy Connections
- Access: Switches and Mounts
- Access: System Settings & Preferences
- AAC Resources
- iPad Resources
- Math Support
- Reading Support
- Writing Support
Established as a grassroots networking effort in 2010, ATAC has grown into a collaborative project between Elmbrook, Menomonee Falls and Hamilton School Districts, providing opportunities for professional development, networking and peer mentoring around the topic of assistive technology.
Visit the ATAC website for more information and schedule of events for the current school year.
Elmbrook Staff: Click here to access past ATAC topics and shared resources.
As professionals working collaboratively, we will share strategies, ideas and experiences gained from our assistive technology implementation efforts in order to further develop our students’ abilities to efficiently and effectively:
- Evaluate their objective
- Choose the appropriate tool or strategy
- Complete their task successfully
Some students show what they know using switches. Use these resources to learn more about supporting these students in the classroom.
- Readily Available Switches, Mounting Options and Accessories - list compiled by Karan Kangas
- Stepping Stones To Switch Access (Two Switch Step Scanning) - Linda Burkhart
- Two Switches to Success: Handout that describes the Stepping Stones to Switch Access Process - Linda Burkhart
- Research-based communication assessment instrument for parents and professionals
- Designed for individuals of all ages at earliest stages of communication
- Communication Matrix Community offers expert moderated support in use of the tool with a focus on improving outcomes for individuals with complex communication needs.
- Developed through Angelman Syndrome Foundation, but applicable to all individuals with complex communication needs.
- Free webinars by expert in AAC, communication and literacy. Archived on YouTube after initial airing
- Current info - year long series presented in 2015 & 2016
- Overview of topic organization
- Focuses on AAC classroom implementation
- Supports families and professionals in improving the communication and literacy abilities of people with significant communication difficulties.
- Founded in 2011 by two SLP professors.
- Resources include Strategy of the Month, Video of the Week, AAC e-Toolbox