This November, the Brookfield East Girls Swimming and Diving Team brought home the silver as the Division 1 state team runner-up. State championship titles for the team were defended by the 200 Yard Medley Relay Team of Maggie Wanezek, Lucy Thomas, Paris Fullerton, and Caroline Wanezek; Maggie Wanezek in the 100 Yard Backstroke; Lucy Thomas in the 100 Yard Breaststroke; and the 400 Yard Freestyle Relay Team of Maggie Wanezek, Audrey Olen, Reese Tiltmann, and Lucy Thomas. Of these state champions, Maggie Wanezek, Lucy Thomas, and the 400 Yard Freestyle Relay Team all beat their previously held state records and Maggie Wanazek set a national, public high school record of 51.09 in the 100 Yard Backstroke!
This year’s event was held at Waukesha South where the Spartans took second place with a total score of 285.5, 53 points behind champion Arrowhead. “This year’s state competition was an epic battle between two of the premier swim programs in the country,” said East Head Coach, Mike Rose. “Our girls swam really well in a competition that yielded many state records.”
Additional scores came from the following athletes:
- Reese Tiltmann: 2nd Place in 200 Yard Freestyle, 3rd Place in 500 Yard Freestyle
- Lucy Thomas: 2nd Place in 50 Yard Freestyle
- Maggie Wanezek: 2nd Place in 100 Yard Freestyle
- Relay Team (Audrey Olen, Caroline Wanezek, Paris Fullerton, Reese Tiltmann): 3rd Place in 200 Yard Freestyle Relay
- Clara Newman: 4th Place in 1 Meter Diving
- Audrey Oley: 5th Place in 200 Yard Freestyle, 6th Place in 100 Yard Freestyle
- Caroline Wanezek: 8th Place in 100 Yard Butterfly, 10th Place in 200 Yard IM
- Paris Fullerton: 10th Place in 100 Yard Butterfly
State champions were recognized by the Board of Education at their meeting on December 13. Congratulations to all of the athletes, and Coaches Mike and Carol Rose on yet another incredible season!