How can I avoid getting sick, especially getting the flu virus that could keep me down for five or more days or worse? Signed, Protect Me From the Flu
Dear Protect Me From The Flu:
It is that unfortunate time of year, flu season! Time to get protected and protect those around you from illnesses such as the common cold, influenza, and other seasonal viruses. There are several steps you can take to protect yourself from getting ill, and to help get yourself on the mend.
Influenza and common colds are two different types of viruses. Viruses are not treated with antibiotics and taking antibiotics when not necessary can make it harder to fight off bacterial infections later. The influenza virus may be treated with an antiviral medication. Often viruses take 7-10 days to run their course. Often viruses begin with a runny nose and sore throat. Other symptoms may be present such as coughing, sneezing, headaches, body aches, and fevers.
Here are some tips below to help keep you healthy this winter:
- Wash your hands. Use soap and water when able, otherwise an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid close contact to those who are ill.
- Get your flu shot.
- Regular cleaning of contact items such as counter tops, door handles, drinking cups, eating utensils.
- Cover your cough or runny nose. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle with adequate nutrition and hydration.
IF YOU'RE SICK:
- Monitor your symptoms.
- Stay hydrated.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Don't go into public if you can avoid it, and if you have a fever, stay home.
- Follow up with your primary care provider for any concerns
- Disinfect your surfaces
Let's keep each other safe this flu season! Please remember that the clinic is open to your needs and your flu shot.
Don't hesitate to call the Family Wellness Center with any questions. We can be reached at (262) 214-1101.
Dr. Kalee Cambray, DNP, APNP, RN, AGACNP-BC, FNP-C
Clinic Phone: (262) 214-1101 17000 W North Ave. Ste 100E Brookfield, WI 53005
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018). CDC says "Take 3" actions to fight the flu. Retrieved fromhttps://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018). Common colds: Protect yourself and others. Retrieved fromhttps://www.cdc.gov/features/rhinoviruses/index.html