On Saturday, November 14, the Brookfield East Girls Swimming and Diving Team won their second straight Division 1 state championship while setting three WIAA records in the process.
This year’s event was held at Waukesha South where the Spartans won the title with a margin of 17 points over Arrowhead. The girls broke their previously set state record for the 200-yard Medley Relay with a time of 1:38:13, just shy of the national record. Relay swimmers included Reilly Tiltmann, Abby Wanezek, Lucy Thomas, and Maggie Wanezek. First place in the 400-yard Free Relay was also claimed by East with a new state record of 3:20:92 set by Abby Wanezek, Maggie Wanezek, Reese Tiltmann, and Reilly Tiltmann. The girls also took first in the 200-yard Freestyle Relay with swimmers Lucy Thomas, Audrey Olen, Callie Gregg, and Reese Tiltmann.
In addition, individual championships went to junior Abby Wanezek who took first place and set a state record of 22:63 in the 50-yard Freestyle and took first in the 100-yard Freestyle, and senior and University of Virginia recruit Reilly Tiltmann in the 200-yard Freestyle. Reilly Tiltmann also took first for the third time in the 100-yard backstroke, and Lucy Thomas placed first in the 100 Breaststroke.
Additional scores came from the following athletes:
- Maggie Wanezek: 2nd Place in the 50-yard Freestyle, 2nd Place in the 100-yard Backstroke
- Reese Tiltman: 2nd Place in the 500-yard Freestyle, 3rd Place in the 200-yard Individual Medley
- Kamryn Dembny: 9th in 100-yard Butterfly, 12th in the 200-yard freestyle
- Clara Newman: 10th place in Diving
- Callie Gregg: 10th in the 200-yard Individual Medley, 13th in the 100-yard Breaststroke
- Kathryn Bingenheimer: 13th in the 500-yard Freestyle
In all, Brookfield East totaled 340 points, 17 points ahead of Arrowhead who took second.
Congratulations to all the athletes and Coaches Mike and Carol Rose on another incredible season!
Read the Journal Sentinel’s full coverage here.
(Pictured - Above: Team with Trophy, Below: BEHS Swim and Dive Team)